Many questions need to be asked when a community considers updating its municipality's comprehensive plan. Questions such as these must be carefully reviewed and thoroughly discussed before starting the plan itself.
Such questions are:
• Who is involved, and who leads the process?
• How much money do we need to spend?
• How long will it take?
• Do we hire a consultant? And what work will they do?
• What resources can be provided by Westchester County?
• What types of information do we need to compile?
• What issues should be addressed in a Plan?
• How should the public get involved?
• How often should we update our Plan?
• Do we need to incorporate SEQRA?
Several resources, listed below, are helpful in answering these questions. We also recommend contacting the county's Department of Planning to discuss how we can help.
Our new “Planning Base Studies” tool provides a tremendous amount of ready-to-use materials that were previously difficult and expensive to gather. We can also provide advice on other aspects of comprehensive planning.
Our goal is to help make local comprehensive planning easier, less expensive and more effiecient using our resources of existing high-quality data and analysis.